1: Public Pedagogy Meet & Greet
>> Saturday, January 15, 2011 –
aed 813
There’s a McDonald's around the corner. DQ just past that. Sephora is upstairs, along with H&M. And then there’s that store on the 2nd floor that is obsessed with selling fleece.
The architecture is ho hum. Polished cream floors, marble perhaps, and trimmed with black. Glass and metal abound. The hallways are lined with stores, open in the center, with the upper stories looking down to the lower. Lots of straight lines. Contemporary architecture at its most banal existence. Customers wander around, some with lots of bags, others only window shopping. The average mall.
It exists everywhere you go. The same stores, the same architecture. The same attempts to be edgy, to be trendy, to show sophistication through modernism, or if the developers have some tenacity, postmodernism or deconstructivism. But the final result rarely to give you a sense of place.
The mall is a space where place disappears. Are you in California, Indiana, Florida, or Pennsylvania?
As I sit in this coffee shop—franchise, not independent—everyone is walking towards the food court to purchase dinner. But in State College, it is 5 am.
—
Hanging out at the mall is a teenager's dream. I knew malls were cool, even in the first grade. I remember my confusion on a family vacation to DC when my parents took me to The Mall. Where were all the stores? This was merely a grassy area lined with museums. It was a confusing trip for a six year old. That was the same trip where I told my mom “Sure, I’d like a souvenir print of the seal of the United States!” I was taken aback to find out I didn’t get a picture of a marine mammal, but rather a bird holding some arrows and a plant, encircled with a random assortment of letters that did not seem like English.
I grew up with the largest shopping mall in the United States. It wasn’t always that way. Sometime between kindergarten and high school, the King of Prussia mall decided to take on large scale renovations and additions, until it surpassed the Mall of America by 14,000 square feet of retail space.
In college, I was shocked to find that some malls are one story. But they still have a Bath and Body Works, and usually an Old Navy.
I’ve been to malls in at least four countries. They’re all the same. We bemoan the development of another Wal-Mart, even attend meetings at the town hall to oppose their construction, yet continue to frequent these behemoths, testaments to a lack of originality and a disregard for local culture.
There’s a comfort in conformity. Safety and security in the familiar.
The King of Prussia Mall, in all its retail shopping glory, and the Mall of America, with all its amusement park square footage, is nothing compared to the recently built South China Mall. This mall, the world’s largest mall, is more than twice the size of the Mall of America. They paved paradise, or at least the farms of some local villagers, and put up a parking lot.
And yet it stands empty.
Employees report, day after day, but customers are lacking. The complex, in a town on the outskirts of Guangzhou, was built by civic loyalty, is maintained by hubris, and proves that if you build it, they won’t always come. Especially when there is no highway or airport nearby.
Rumor has it that my city will soon challenge this desolate leader with our own mega-mall, Mall of China. But for now, in the center of town, adjacent to the Olympic complex, this little mall is doing well. On a cold Friday night, people come and go, unaware that they should have maxed out their credit cards last month, flocking to the mall to purchase holiday gifts. Here, the fake trees are still in the process of being taken down, but are already being replaced by lanterns, strings of fake firecrackers, and a cartoon that looks like the Easter bunny in a red Chinese outfit. Like the mall itself, the decorations can’t decide if they are Western, Eastern, or a new amalgamation.

—
The opening of Marina City (百丽广场) was anticipated for months. Could we really have a Dairy Queen in walking distance? An H&M and Uniqlo (the Japanese store obsessed with fleece) in our city? What would we do on trips to Beijing, Shanghai, or Hong Kong? Less two years ago, I pounded the pavement in Shanghai, searching for some Subway sandwich artists. A year later, I squealed with delight when I saw their sign on the first floor of my "French Wal-Mart" Carrefour. I scrounged together my best Chinese to ask the neighboring shopkeeper when they would open; I would be there on opening day. And now Marina City would bring more things from home and open closer to my home.
It was a celebration when the stores opened. But in the middle of the cheers, my pensive friend questioned our joy. What is to become of China? Did we move halfway around the world only to eat Papa John's and Blizzards?
But there is comfort in the familiar. Safety and security when we can anticipate the unknown.
And still, the food court here leaves room for adventure. This no Panda Express; the stalls sell real Chinese, with odes to Japanese, Korean, Indian, and Western food. Tonight, I’d like some butter chicken masala and naan to feast on.
But I don’t think I’d complain if they opened a Chic-fil-A...
Assignment: Introduce self by locating and describing a public sphere of influence in the human-built environment
(e.g., mall, Internet site, television show, listserv, news broadcast, advertisement, artwork, built-environment).
The architecture is ho hum. Polished cream floors, marble perhaps, and trimmed with black. Glass and metal abound. The hallways are lined with stores, open in the center, with the upper stories looking down to the lower. Lots of straight lines. Contemporary architecture at its most banal existence. Customers wander around, some with lots of bags, others only window shopping. The average mall.
It exists everywhere you go. The same stores, the same architecture. The same attempts to be edgy, to be trendy, to show sophistication through modernism, or if the developers have some tenacity, postmodernism or deconstructivism. But the final result rarely to give you a sense of place.
The mall is a space where place disappears. Are you in California, Indiana, Florida, or Pennsylvania?
As I sit in this coffee shop—franchise, not independent—everyone is walking towards the food court to purchase dinner. But in State College, it is 5 am.
—
I grew up with the largest shopping mall in the United States. It wasn’t always that way. Sometime between kindergarten and high school, the King of Prussia mall decided to take on large scale renovations and additions, until it surpassed the Mall of America by 14,000 square feet of retail space.
In college, I was shocked to find that some malls are one story. But they still have a Bath and Body Works, and usually an Old Navy.
I’ve been to malls in at least four countries. They’re all the same. We bemoan the development of another Wal-Mart, even attend meetings at the town hall to oppose their construction, yet continue to frequent these behemoths, testaments to a lack of originality and a disregard for local culture.
There’s a comfort in conformity. Safety and security in the familiar.
The King of Prussia Mall, in all its retail shopping glory, and the Mall of America, with all its amusement park square footage, is nothing compared to the recently built South China Mall. This mall, the world’s largest mall, is more than twice the size of the Mall of America. They paved paradise, or at least the farms of some local villagers, and put up a parking lot.
And yet it stands empty.
Employees report, day after day, but customers are lacking. The complex, in a town on the outskirts of Guangzhou, was built by civic loyalty, is maintained by hubris, and proves that if you build it, they won’t always come. Especially when there is no highway or airport nearby.
Rumor has it that my city will soon challenge this desolate leader with our own mega-mall, Mall of China. But for now, in the center of town, adjacent to the Olympic complex, this little mall is doing well. On a cold Friday night, people come and go, unaware that they should have maxed out their credit cards last month, flocking to the mall to purchase holiday gifts. Here, the fake trees are still in the process of being taken down, but are already being replaced by lanterns, strings of fake firecrackers, and a cartoon that looks like the Easter bunny in a red Chinese outfit. Like the mall itself, the decorations can’t decide if they are Western, Eastern, or a new amalgamation. —
The opening of Marina City (百丽广场) was anticipated for months. Could we really have a Dairy Queen in walking distance? An H&M and Uniqlo (the Japanese store obsessed with fleece) in our city? What would we do on trips to Beijing, Shanghai, or Hong Kong? Less two years ago, I pounded the pavement in Shanghai, searching for some Subway sandwich artists. A year later, I squealed with delight when I saw their sign on the first floor of my "French Wal-Mart" Carrefour. I scrounged together my best Chinese to ask the neighboring shopkeeper when they would open; I would be there on opening day. And now Marina City would bring more things from home and open closer to my home.
It was a celebration when the stores opened. But in the middle of the cheers, my pensive friend questioned our joy. What is to become of China? Did we move halfway around the world only to eat Papa John's and Blizzards?
But there is comfort in the familiar. Safety and security when we can anticipate the unknown.
And still, the food court here leaves room for adventure. This no Panda Express; the stalls sell real Chinese, with odes to Japanese, Korean, Indian, and Western food. Tonight, I’d like some butter chicken masala and naan to feast on.
But I don’t think I’d complain if they opened a Chic-fil-A...
Assignment: Introduce self by locating and describing a public sphere of influence in the human-built environment
(e.g., mall, Internet site, television show, listserv, news broadcast, advertisement, artwork, built-environment).

“Hanging out at the mall is a teenager's dream.” This was true for me. My friends in junior high and I would develop a theme (often characters from a novel) and dress up and perform these identities at the mall. Today, we have Second Life to do such play. By high school I worked in this same mall in the east side of the Cleveland area. I started in shoes but since I did not sell as many as other sales clerks, I was transferred to “lamps,” which was the section of the department store that sold art reproductions. Since few made their way to this upstairs corner of a department store “anchor” of the mall and even less purchased anything, my job was to dust and make sure every time someone visited to make the corner look different. During my shift, I rearranged the lamps, sculptures, and paintings. I curated with the oddest items. The manager liked my work and I was asked to design the holiday section on the first floor during my senior year of high school. I left Cleveland toward the end of my 18th year. In Eugene, Oregon, I was asked to develop arts events in the indoor mall and also at 5th Street Market, which I did for several years. One time this involved a cheetah brought into the center of the mall that I worked with mall shoppers in how to closely observe and draw.
As a graduate student in studying educational ethnography with Dr. Harry Wolcott, I used an indirect interviewing method and observation of an elderly Taiwanese woman who I invited to go with me to the indoor shopping mall in Eugene, Oregon. I noticed what she paid attention too and what she did not. And, stories of her life came from her from the items she touched and examined.
Indeed malls are a form of public pedagogy. Below are two articles about malls as public pedagogy in art education journals.
Stokrocki, Mary (2001). Go to the mall and get it all: Adolescents' aesthetic values in the shopping mall. Art Education 54(2), 18-23.
Szekely, Ilona (2008). Art at the Mall: A Look at the Aesthetics of Popular Mall Art Culture. International Journal of Art & Design Education, 27(2), 192-201.
Stephanie,
I found it interesting that you are in China. You are in China, aren't you? Reading your post I could visualize everything you described. I have been to the King of Prussia Mall. HUGE! Like no other mall I have been in before. It has been several years, but I can remember just walking for a long time to get to the other side. I too also remember my first trip to D.C.'s "mall". I was old enough to know it wasn't a shopping mall, but being from Small Town, USA,(in Western, PA,) and not having the opportunity to get there as a kid,I guess,I had forgotten it was called "the mall". I found in interesting in your post that there was so much American food there in China and that the mall was not that busy and just "ho hum" on architecture. I also found it humorous of how you described the decorations.
Hi Stephanie,
Thank you for sharing so many details of your experience--I felt like I was in the mall with you! What brought you to China, and how did you start this program?
It's strange. Malls feel so similar to me too, regardless of where they're located. I too have been to quite a few, including ones in Spain, France (I like Carrefour, but LOVE Monoprix :)), Israel and Thailand. There's even a particular "mall smell" (just like a particular "elementary school classroom smell") that comes to mind!
-March
Stephanie,
What an incredible post. Like March, I felt as though I were in the mall seeing all that you were describing. Living in the DC area, I can appreciate the nod to classic architecture that's seen in so many of the buildings, but countless other buildings have made attempts at seeming modern and innovative while lacking anything that's actually aesthetically pleasing. As you eloquently put it: "Contemporary architecture at its most banal existence."
What brought you to China to live? That sounds like an amazing adventure.
- James
Stephanie,
It sounds like you have had some great international experiences. I am intrigued by the conflict of declining sense of place and safety and security. I am definitely a creature of habit and appreciate sameness that offers safety and security. However, I think it is sad places are becoming less unique, a consequence of suburbia as well which i posted about. Places like malls in which it is hard to tell whether it is in the us or china, are ignoring the possibility to reflect the rich culture and essences of the city or town. I hope that cities hold onto what makes them unique before it gets worse.
The details and photographs you included were amazing. A college roommate of mine took me to the King of Prussia Mall, and I remember think how huge it was. I can also remember as pre-teen thinking the mall was the coolest place ever to hang out on a Friday night. I grew up in Buffalo, NY. The mall there is large, but nothing compared to King of Prussia. When I moved to my current town I was amazed to find their "mall" consisted of one floor, which contained a Sears and Bath and Bodyworks. Working in a store in a mall really changed my perspective of a mall during my early twenties.
Steve -
The American food is few and far between. When I first moved here, my city only had the big three: KFC, McDonald's, and Starbucks. In 2 1/2 years, we've added Papa Johns, Dairy Queen, and Subway. All the major chains can be found in Beijing, Shanghai, and Hong Kong, but those six are it for me here. We do have independent Western eateries, though, little coffeeshops, diners, and Italian restaurants.
As far as the architecture goes, there is one mall that I absolutely love---Drake Circus in Plymouth, England. I lived in Plymouth for two months while student teaching. The director of exchange students at the university in Plymouth told us most people thought the new mall was an eye-sore. I think it is just the opposite. It is quite daring and eclectic, like most postmodern architecture, and it incorporates history. Plymouth was largely destroyed by bombs in WWII so most of the current structures are post-war reconstruction (quick, cheap, and with little regard to aesthetics). Just recently, the city has begun to focus on architecture. This mall stands face to face with Charles Church. Only a skeleton of its prewar form, the walls stand as a memorial to all those affected by WWII. The facade of the mall, with its Sydney opera house repetition and orange grid, juxtaposes beautifully with the history of Plymouth. The mall is truly site-specific and understands its place in relation to the neighboring buildings and history of Plymouth.
But like she told us that day, many people find the orange to simply be ugly.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/devon/content/articles/2006/09/05/drake_circus_sept06_feature.shtml
from above
http://www.bbc.co.uk/devon/content/image_galleries/best_of_drake_circus_gallery.shtml?2
from the road
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Drake_Circus_behind_Charles_Church.jpg
reflection
http://www.bbc.co.uk/devon/content/image_galleries/best_of_drake_circus_gallery.shtml?22
during construction
http://www.bbc.co.uk/devon/content/image_galleries/best_of_drake_circus_gallery.shtml?18
All -
I added two pages (so far) to tell the "how i came to china" story and to give you a glimpse into my classroom.
Thanks for sharing your mall stories.
March - I'm not familiar with Monoprix. I've also never been to France : ( My roommate is going during Chinese New Year and I am slightly jealous.
James - I hope I can show you some pictures of my city's nod to classicism and neoclassicism. I have a love/hate relationship with their cheesy attempts. It's great when I'm teaching Greek, Roman, and Neoclassical art; the kids can see many examples of the structures just in their bus ride to school. But the rest of the time, it's just funny.
Laura - I am in constant struggle with safety and security. I love my western-looking home, and my western friends, and my western food, and can be tempted to live in a western expat bubble here, not engaging in the rich culture in which I live. Marina City is such a conflict for me because it epitomizes that struggle and gives me another space, a public space, where I can cling to the familiar and pretend as if I still live in the states.
I noticed all the glass. I assume this is to allow consumers to see the merchandise from every angle, but also for shoppers to see other shoppers as well?
I found a picture of Drake Circus that I took!
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=32294529&l=a8bbb2a08d&id=26600503
Not that it's a better picture in any way, just that I took it...felt like I should add it to the list.